This Feingold Stage One dairy free chocolate cake is probably the BEST chocolate cake I have ever made. This started out as a test to see how it would turn out and it is now the final version. I love it when things work out the first time! The only downside is that I didn’t take a picture because it was really the test version. Here is the recipe I used (warning do not use Crisco vegetable shortening or you will be putting TBHQ in your otherwise fabulous cake.):
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour (I used the 365 brand organic)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder ( I used Ghiradelli)
- 1 cup coconut milk (I used So Delicious brand)
- 2 eggs (use organic if you can)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract (do not use artificial vanilla)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup boiling water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour cake pan(s). I greased mine with Spectrum organic vegetable shortening made with pressed palm oil.
In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients with a wisk. Add eggs, coconut milk, vanilla and vegetable oil. Mix with your mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add boiling water and mix until combined. This results in a very thin batter.
Pour batter into the prepared pans and bake 30-35 minutes for 2 9″ round pans or 35-40 minutes for one 9 1/2″ x 13″ pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan.
For the Frosting:
- 6 tbsp spectrum organic vegetable shortening
- 2 2/3 cup powdered sugar (I used organic powdered sugar and sifted it first to get out the lumps.)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Ghiradelli)
- 1/3 cup of coconut milk (I used So Delicious brand)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Beat together ingredients with a mixer on medium speed until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
This makes enough frosting to frost one cake.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.